Habit. Such a weird word and kind of fun to say. The word “habit” has a negative connotation in my mind. Until now I’ve only seen a habit as something to break like biting my nails or in my case breaking my food habits. Well, they’re both my case. I’m a life-long nail biter.
Yes, there are a lot of habits in my life to break, but I want to re-wire my brain to get excited about creating healthy habits like eating a fat loss friendly breakfast every day.
I’ve identified the habits I’d like to change in my daily routine as well as new habits I’d like to create. I’m giving myself a week to form new habits and replace the old and unhealthy ones.
Habits to Break:
- skipping breakfast
- sleeping in / not setting an alarm /
- late night snacking
- indulging in dessert every day
- sitting down 95% of my day
Habits to Form:
- Eating a fat-loss friendly breakfast every day, not just weekdays.
- Waking up early / setting an alarm / not lying in bed looking at my phone
- Healthy Swaps
- whole wheat bread > white bread
- whole wheat pasta or zoodles > white pasta
- lean meat > red meat
- corn tortillas > flour tortillas
- Halo Top > Häagen-Dazs
- Eliminating late night snacking
- This one is more of a mindset than something physical to do, but I’ve got ideas on how to curb my late night cravings.
- Indulging with dessert once a week.
- Making a list of things I need to do and want to do and working through them in a timely manner.
- Incorporating moving throughout the day.
- This one will take some work. I drive 25 – 30 minutes to work, sit at a desk or table, and then I come home and sit and crochet. There’s not even a flight of stairs in my daily routine!
- I’m going to have to get creative when incorporating movement during the day, but I believe I’ll start with walking around the building every hour or so.
Yikes! That’s a big list of habits to change as well as habits to form! I really want to take my time and cement these new lifestyle habits. Who knows how long it’ll take, but I’m up for the challenge.
Do you have any habits you’re ready to swap out?